Tuesday 25 January 2011

Snape

At the weekend we took a drive to Snape Maltings, a magical place where a sandwich costs you £5.00 and they have mugs that are handmade and spotty and textured that are to expensive for even the queen. 

We wandered and trawled and poked and searched and we found a beautiful shop full of antiques. It had a section for vintage 1950's and 60's clothing, and they were beautiful.

A whole row of wedding dresses, all lace, all huge, all extravagant. 

A whole shelf of bags, all in fashion now, all for around £30, all beautiful.

A whole stack of hats, and scarf's all fantastic, all with signs clearly reading "ask before you try"

. . .and then upstairs, what got me more than anything were these.


Imagine where these have been? How well travelled these are, what they have seen? A war? A country house? A bombing? A holiday to the beach? Have they been abroad, doubtful, but I could take them. It reminded me of this -

I wish the world was flat like the old days
then I could travel just by folding a map
no more airplanes, or speedtrains, or freeways
there'd be no distance that can hold us back.

Not expensive, from £25.00, but with no money in my bank i admitted defeat and didn't come away with a case. . .a beautiful leather case. 

I love them.

No comments: